Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My Nursery Journal: Part V

Well, as you have seen our girl is here :-) The nursery hardly seems relevant now, we are so consumed with her, but since this is a design blog I thought I would continue to share her sweet little space :-) If you missed them, check out Part I, II, III & IV.
I am in love with the bedding. I had everything custom made at my workroom and I couldn't be happier with the finished product! I went ahead and had bumper pads made even though they won't be in the crib 90% of the time. I just really wanted them and eventually, when my girl is big enough, I will likely keep them in. I had them made in 2 sections so that when we convert the crib into a toddler bed, the front bumper will come off and the back section will fit like a daybed. I made them in washable cream linen corded in khaki and cream seersucker that can be unzipped from the pillows and thrown in the washer. The bed skirt is also adjustable so that it can be moved up and down with the bed as she grows.
As you can see in the first image, we painted the crib gold, a la Erika Powell style :-) It ended up being kind of an ordeal, which if my husband were writing this would be his description for all of my "projects" for him. Long story short, after several attempts at brushing, spraying etc. and several expensive cans of paint later, we ended up taking it up to Beck Industrial to be professional sprayed in their paint booth, sheesh! Let's just not talk about it anymore, ok?
In spite of everything it turned out beautifully!!! Thanks babe!...isn't he cute putting the crib together?!
All of my fabrics are F. Schumacher.
For the art above the crib, I bought these vintage Alice in Wonderland images at an Etsy shop and framed them in some stock frames I found at Stein Mart. The frames had some cheesy palm frond prints in them, but I loved the frames and the color of cream on the mattes, and so it was an easy switch out for the look of custom framed art...which can cost a small fortune.
These cute little metal bugs were part of the decorations for one of my showers. I just grabbed some branches from my yard and stuck them on the branches in a vase. I'm aware that this is not toddler-proof but we have a while before that ;-) The little glass table next to the glider will have to go, when that day comes, as well.
We kept the queen bed that was in the room when it was a guest room. We figured it would come in handy for the nights that I sleep in there and then eventually it will likely be her 'big girl bed'. That is hard to even imagine right now!
I did a little art collage over the bed that I plan on adding some other pieces to. The owl watercolor was a gift from a sweet client. The top piece is another vintage Alice in Wonderland scene of the Mad Hatter's Tea Party, and the Asian silk piece below it was Frank's grandmother's in it's original tortoise shell frame. I love this!

The headboard was actually something that I made from the old crusty shutters that were on the windows when we bought our house. They were very shabby and not in the chic kind of way. I took them apart and then screwed the pieces together using the old hinges. A little wood glue and paint and I think it makes a pretty cute headboard...kind of Somerset Bay-ish.
Here is what the shutters looked like before. Many of the slats were broken and they had been poorly painted several times. Plus they were just really old. I love a little patina but these were just kind of gross.
The room is finally done so I'll show you some full room shots when I get a chance to fluff it up a little. The past few weeks have been crazy with our new little one at home. This motherhood business is no joke! Props to all of you mommas out there!!!
By the way...
Have you seen our amazing newborn photos? I absolutely adore our photographer! She is a personal friend and I highly recommend her if you are looking for a creative and extremely talented photographer. Check out her sweet post about the little Miss :-)
I hope you're having a great week!

20 comments:

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

I love every last detail -- the art, crib, linens, and especially the headboard. Lovely!

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

TwoThirtyFiveDesigns said...

Lovely, well done friend.

Eavan said...

amazing. looks beautiful..find more Glider Sets here on nursery gliders

Lindsey said...

Love this bedding!! I'm starting to plan my little girls nursery. Can you share with me the the sheet fabric as well as the bumper faric?? I saw where you posted the skirt fabric on an earlier post....do you know if it comes in different shades or with a coral/pink added?? I'm having such a hard time finding the perfect fabrics. Thanks!!

Maria@Live Beautifully said...

Thanks Lindsey. The sheet fabric is Ziggurat in Mineral and the stripe on the bumper is Bailey Seersucker in Khaki both by Schumacher. I used a cream linen on the bumpers too by Norbar. I don't know if any of these come in the colors you need but Schumacher has a great site. www.fschumacher.com Good luck and thanks for reading :-)

Maria@Live Beautifully said...

Thank you Jenny, Allison, and Eavan! :-)

Allyson said...

Could you tell me where you got the paid decorative pillows on the queen bed?? Just what I'm looking for!

Maria@Live Beautifully said...

Allyson, I actually found those ready-made at Bed, Bath & Beyond about 4 years ago :-/ Wish I could be of more help. Thanks for reading.

Jennifer said...

This is my DREAM nursery! I'm starting to plan my little girl's nursery and was wondering what type of paint you used on the crib? And the color... LOVE the gold crib and gold accents. I have access to a paint booth as well. Thanks!!

Maria@Live Beautifully said...

Jennifer, I used an enamel, for durability. I used Sheffield Bronze Paint Co.'s Pale Gold. Just a heads up, it was very difficult to paint. We ended up having it professionally sprayed because the metallics and oils were separating with us painting it and it looked streaky, so it is good you have access to a paint booth. Good luck!

andrea said...

How did you make an adjustable crib skirt? I've been racking my brain!!!!

Many thanks. This room is divine.

Maria@Live Beautifully said...

Andrea, haha, it has ties instead of a center fabric, that tie to the spring system. You just move the ties inward as you lower the mattress height. I make all of my bed skirts adjustable, it gives a much more tailored look :-) Thanks for reading!

asa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
asa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Catie said...

Your nursery is absolutely beautiful! Can you share where you got your crib bumper insert? Thanks in advance!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Can you share which Schumacher fabric the crib skirt is made of?

Maria@Live Beautifully said...

the crib skirt is Schumacher's Camberwell Vase in Citrine. Thanks for reading :-)

Maria@Live Beautifully said...

Catie,
Thank you! My workroom provides the fillers for all pillows and such, so I'm not sure where they came from. They possibly make them at the workroom. Thanks for reading :-)

MrandMrsEvents said...

Love the crib!! Can you tell me what type of company I should look for to do the paint job? I'm in Nashville and just would love some advice on where to start looking because I'd love to get our crib painted too. Thanks!!

LaurenSheller said...

Gorgeous! Where did you get the crib?

Thanks,
Lauren