Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My Nursery Journal: Part II


Well, we've finally completed a little more work for little missy's room. If you missed it, check out Part I here. My husband and I had this past weekend free, which are few and far between these days, and so we decided to work on a few DIYs for our girl.
The photo above shows our handiwork :-) This is actually wallpaper but it is textured and paintable and really resembles true beadboard. Real beadboard was not in the budget, so I found this product and we gave it a shot. We hung the paper ourselves to save on installation fees. I do not recommend doing this with your significant other if... a) you are 8 1/2 months pregnant, ahem b) don't handle stress very well c) don't have a strong marriage.
Nah, I'm just kidding, it was only bad for a very short time, lol...

*exacto-ing the edges to line up the strips

Because the paper is foamy, it painted really easily, which made the hubs happy. We painted the ceiling the prettiest blue-green color that I pulled from my main fabric. It reminds me of a haint blue porch ceiling on an old colonial home.
You know...it's been said that people used to paint the porch ceilings shades of blue because it fooled bugs and birds into thinking it was the sky so that they wouldn't set up home there...hmmm.
I couldn't be happier with the result. It made the boring, smooth sheetrock ceiling much more interesting.

We also hung the chandelier once the ceiling was done.
I found the cutest antique Italian tole chandelier in a local antique store. It had been painted numerous shades over the years but had ended up all white, which I actually quite liked. I decided to spray paint the stems of the bouquet in gold (I'm accenting with lots of gold in the room) and leave the flowers, leaves, and tie all the old white. I love how it turned out!

Isn't it sweet?!

I love where the paint is getting chippy and the rust of time is showing through. I think that is so charming!

So, I'm feeling like the room is moving right along, which is good since our girl will be here before we know it! We'll be installing drapes and blinds next, eeek!

7 comments:

katsampson said...

LOVE the beadboard look, fabric, fabulous chandelier and the name Alice!! Such talent.

TwoThirtyFiveDesigns said...

LOVE the ceiling....maybe frank could pick up a second job out of this, and head on up to the LBK, yes I think so!
Can't wait to see the rest!

Maria@Live Beautifully said...

Thank you Kat :-) and thanks for reading!

Maria@Live Beautifully said...

Thanks Allison :-) Ummm, if you saw some of the meltdowns, I don't think that you would want to bring him into a client's home ;-) haha.

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

Love love love!!!
I'm going to be sharing our finished nursery later this week or early next (our little man is 8 weeks old). Stop by if you'd like!
Jenny

Maria@Live Beautifully said...

Thanks for reading Jenny, I will definitely check it out :-)

Bargain Hoot said...

I laughed when you mentioned about you and your husband papering the ceiling. My husband helped me do a ceiling in beadboard paper and he said DON'T EVER I repeat NEVER ask him to wallpaper again. We joked and said hanging wallpaper and doing a room redo together should be a prerequisite for marriage. If you can make it through that...well, you can make it through just about anything. :)Actually, ceilings are the hardest(don't you think)...I should have started him in on a wall first :)