Monday, June 22, 2015

1920s Renovation | The Powder Bath


This gorgeous, little powder bath within my large 1920s renovation project, is now complete.
This is what she formerly looked like. 
This powder bath had been updated sometime in the late 80s/ early 90s, and it needed a little freshening up.  We wanted to keep the extremely high quality undermount cut crystal sink and the gold plated and cut crystal fittings by Sherle Wagner, that previously occupied the space.  We also kept the cabinet base, because it was also in great condition.
Here she is now...
 
We changed out the granite countertops for this stunning piece of Arabescato Ceravoile marble that I found.  I added the sophisticated backsplash detail and had the fabricators match the veining pattern of the marble across the splash onto the countertop.  I love how this turned out!
We removed the skip trowel texture from the walls and hung an inky charcoal grasscloth, by Phillip Jeffries.  I love the drama that is created where the lightness of the marble meets the darkness of the walls.  The smooth texture of the marble against the natural texture of the grasscloth is a beautiful complement, as is the antique gold of the new sunburst mirror.  It creates a beautiful contrast against the deep color of the grasscloth.
The new cabinet hardware and new smoky cabinet paint.
One of my favorite features I designed for this space is the floor.  It is truly a statement piece.  It is screenprinted cararra marble and it is stunning, in my opinion!
 Here's a closer look at the cut crystal sink and cut crystal and gold plated plumbing fittings.  The sink is lit from underneath, inside the base cabinet, and has the lovliest glow when the lights in the bath are on.
I absolutely adore the gold plated and cut crystal plumbing fittings by Sherle Wagner.  They remind me of vintage atomizer perfume bottles, which I just love!
 Isn't she lovely?!
I hope you're having a great start to the week!
 

5 comments:

Cherie said...

Wow! So much pretty in one small room. :) The juxtaposition between light and dark, rough and smooth, causes my heart to sing with delight! My favorite part for sure is the flooring. I would love to see the sink lit in person. I'm sure it emits a lovely glow. Another beautiful project! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous. Dark walls in a small space create so much drama. Everything is gorgeous; the floor is a stunner.

eunha922 said...

Love the mix of old with the new! You've inspired me to keep my sheryl wagner faucets in my powder bath renovation. Where did you source the starburst mirror? It matches the faucets beautifully.

Debra Newman said...

That was a great project, Maria! You really improved the powder room a lot. I love every modification that you made. From the mirror, to the crystal sink, all of it contributed to make the place look more elegant. And even the new marble made the kitchen look brighter, even though the walls are painted black. Thank you for sharing with us! :)

Debra Newman @ UCS Granite

bob said...

Thanks for this amazing article on Live Beautifully was Just searching for HOW TO AVOID COMMON PROBLEMS AND COSTLY MISTAKES and found this amazing website of yours.