Monday, August 12, 2013

1920's Renovation | The Master Bath


Finally, the stunning master bath of my 1920's restoration project!  This project has been complete for well over a year but I couldn't quite find the time to photograph it.  Alas, here she is. 
This bath project is basically my dream bath!  My clients let me build my dream bath in their house... at least that's what I tell myself :-) 
Sigh...maybe someday...
So here is a little refresher of what we started with in floorplan view.  If you haven't already seen the master bedroom and are interested check it out here.
So, as you can see in the floorplan view, I took a spare bedroom and bath that they didn't need and transformed that space into the new master bath and closet.  I'll have to save the closet for another post because there is just too much going on here to talk about it all at once.
We closed off the hallway and made the new entrance to the master suite through the former master closet.  In the 'before' image below you can see the old hallway leading to the old spare bedroom and bath.  The new entrance to the suite was built right where that black console sits on the left.
This 'before' view is from the master bedroom and is looking at the wall where the new entrance to the master bath and closet will be.
In the 'after' image below, you can see the new entrance to the master suite on the far right and then the new entrance to the master bath through the gorgeous, stained French doors.
 
Vintage details, like these glass door knobs, were selected to respect the integrity of the 1920's architecture.
In this 'before' image you can see the former bath in all of it's ballet pink tiled glory.
From the same angle below, you can see the new make-up vanity for the lady of the house.  The toilet and shower plumbing actually stayed in the same location, but a watercloset was built around the toilet for privacy. 
The new his and hers vanities...
The gorgeous Kohler Vintage freestanding tub nestles perfectly into the corner between the vanities. It creates beautiful focal point when you walk into the bathroom. 
The freestanding bathtub complete with a vintage inspired chandy overhead, by Visual Comfort & Co.
I specifically selected the vintage botanicals and their gold leaf frames to complement the Honey Onyx and the gold veins in the Calcutta marble. Can we go ahead and talk about that Calcutta and Honey Onyx basketweave?!...good grief, I love it so very much!!!
Looking back at the master bedroom and the entrance to the closet on the right (more on the closet later). 
The bank of cabinets is where the old hallway on the plan is, for your reference.  I designed lots of linen storage and a full length cabinet tucked to the left (not visible from this angle) was designed to hang robes out of sight. 
The new shower is amazing!!!  It is decked out with dueling shower heads that have their own settings.  The settings stay fixed to the setter's preferred temp so, when he or she takes their shower all they have to do is turn on their side and there is no need to adjust to get everything just right. 
A rain shower head hangs above on a different valve. 
I carried more of the Calcutta Gold into the shower in a classic herringbone pattern with the Honey Onyx and Calcutta basketweave on the shower floor.
In the 'before' image above, you can see more of the old bath and what will become the watercloset seen below.  To the right, you can see the old shower (which stayed in the same location). 
 
Ah the vintage inspired bathtub hardware...love!!!!
 
 
I just love everything about this bathroom!  It was one of my very favorite projects to date!
If you would like to see more of this project, I've previously blogged about The Solarium, Dining room, the Bar, the Playroom bath, their Daughter's bedroom, and the stairs makeover.

I hope that you have enjoyed the summer.  We sure have!  It has been such a treat to get lots of summer activities and playtime in with my little bunny
It is right about this time, in the thick of the Texas summer heat, that I start longing for the chill of fall.  I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this :-)  If you follow me on Pinterest, don't be surprised if you see an unusual amount of pins containing images of sweaters, boots and pumpkin pies.
Have a great week!

21 comments:

Sita said...

Amazing! Talk about a dream bathroom! Every detail is pure perfection!

Nancy said...

Beyond gorgeous. I am in awe.

Maria@Live Beautifully said...

Thank you Sita and Nancy :-)

Ashleigh said...

Oh wow!! Prettiest bathroom ever!

Tara {The Silver Lining} said...

You've outdone yourself!! If that's even possible. I love all of your designs, but this bathroom is to die for. It's a dream!

Maria@Live Beautifully said...

Thank you Ashleigh!

Maria@Live Beautifully said...

Thank you Tara, what a wonderful compliment! :-)

Monica said...

Stunning, Stunning!! this makeover master bath has all the perfect touches. I love the door knobs/plates. I also love the double glass doors that are frosted to the entrance of the bath. The tiles are a beautiful light color! So much to comment on and thank you for sharing. About that Texas heat well I am too longing for the break of the 100's and some many days of well deserve rain.

Maria@Live Beautifully said...

Wow, Monica, thank you so much! :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh My! This is stunning. I love all the beautiful finishes and the floor is to die for. Beautiful work, Maria.

Yvette

Anonymous said...

“...It was one of my very favorite projects to date!” - And now I understand why. It really looks great. I can't believe that a simple bathroom can turn out to be like that – gorgeous and captivating. I suddenly want to renovate my bathroom; but thinking of the work of renovation, I'm thinking otherwise. I guess I have to call my good contractor again just to work with me on this big project. Thanks for inspiring me!

Terence Watthens @ TheFidusGroup.com

Debbie said...

I just stumbled on your blog. What a beautiful transformation. I'm going to use some of your design elements in a MUCH smaller scale in my tiny master bathroom. The tile on the walls is stunning!

Unknown said...

You're so talented, M.E Beck! You're designs are dreamy! It doesn't look like a residential bathroom now, it looks even more beautiful than some of the five star hotels I've been into. The touch of gold and crystal made it look like an en-suite for royalties. Good job! Arthur @ContractorExpress.com

Maria@Live Beautifully said...

Thank you Yvette, Terrence, Debbie and Arthur :-) Thanks so much for taking the time to leave such nice comments!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful. Can you post the dimensions of the bathroom please?

Annie Vincent Interiors said...

Those doorknobs!!! I die!!

Maria@Live Beautifully said...

Thank you Anon and Annie :-)

Unknown said...

How beautiful! This is probably one of the best bathroom renovations I’ve ever seen. You turned a simple bathroom to a royalty-like luxuriously looking en-suite. The transformation you made for this bathroom is totally awesome! Byron @ TheRoofingCompany.com

Maria@Live Beautifully said...

Thanks Byron :-)

Anonymous said...

The tile is fantastic! Can you provide any more details, so that I can source? Thanks!

Rebecca said...

I love the Master Vanity! Do you happen to know the dimensions of this? Like the full length as well as the area for sink versus middle shelf?