Friday, May 15, 2009

A furniture classic

I love to use secretary desks. They are perfect in unusual niches, front entries, bedrooms...you name it. It is a functional little piece of furniture that can be so fun and beautiful. These historical and traditional pieces have come a long way, and there are even some cool styles for the clean-line lovers. Pull up a pretty, little statement chair and the corner that generally gets forgotten will suddenly be a place that you would like to sit. It may even encourage you to hand write letters or thank you notes, which is a lovely tradition that has almost completely disappeared in the age of e-mail.
But, I digress...take a peek at some of these styles.

I absolutely love this one by Hickory Chair, love the stain on the inside contrasting with the smooth cream painted exterior...yum!
Isn't this one so charming? Look at the chocolate paint detail on the inside! So lovely.

And this little guy... too cute and perfect for smaller spaces.
This is perfect for you modern folks. Macassar ebony = delicious. This piece is crafted in the Ruhlmann style.
I am absolutely loving this Swedish antique, circa 1770. Picture this in a space with all white furniture and a seagrass rug. I would pull a sweet little Louis XVI side chair up to this with a white distressed finish and upholstered in something like raffia or burlap...so perfect!

Hmmm....now where can I put a secretary in my house?....

1 comment:

rickelchick said...

I love secretary desks too! I bought an antique secretary a couple of years ago for the small space at the top of my stairs - it's perfect and so practical...I'll always have a spot for it.