Monday, June 22, 2009

We're All Mad Here...

That is, in Wonderland of course!
Most people who know me are aware of my love for all things Alice! I have been obsessed with this lovely little girl and her adventures in Wonderland for as long as I can remember. I have read Lewis Carroll's originals, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. I've seen every re-make that I know of out there, and most recently I received a new spark of excitement when I learned that Tim Burton (Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow...to name a few) is directing his version of the cult classic. It is in post production now and should come out sometime in early 2010. I can hardly contain my excitement. Not only do I loooove Alice in Wonderland, but Tim Burton is one of my favorite directors. I love his dark, brooding characters and even darker story lines and sets. I am inspired by the imagination in his work! One of my favorite creations by Tim Burton is The Nightmare Before Christmas. I even have a miniature village of Halloweentown, that lights up, and has all of the wonderfully creative little monsters, from the film, milling about. I put it up at Halloween and I adore it! So... the fact that Mr. Burton is directing one of my all time favorites is just too sweet to imagine. Watch the trailer here. Mr. Burton's version is going to be a little on the scary side, which is actually more true to the book than the latter versions. The book was more like a nightmare than the kooky and colorful dream that Disney relayed. I'm really looking forward to seeing someone else's vision of this loved classic.
Take a look at these colorful (and a bit freakish) versions of these infamous characters from the amazing mind of Mr. Burton.

The Mad Hatter (played by Johnny Depp, of course)
The White Queen played by the lovely Anne Hathaway

The Red Queen played by Mr. Burton's wife, Helena Bonham Carter

There is something about Wonderland that, I think, appeals to us all. Wouldn't you like to just fall down that hole, leave the troubles of this world behind, and have an afternoon of tea and cakes with a rabbit in a waistcoat?

I would!
images are from the amazingly talented Maggie Taylor who also shares my affinity for Miss Alice.

1 comment:

Beck said...

MB - but WHO is playing Alice?! I will have to go look. I loooove Tim Burton and am so excited for his version of Alice. Love the spooky take on it - you're so right that Carroll wrote it more that way!

ps: anything with Helena Bonham Carter is way spooky.